Protecting yourself is more important than ever. Police budgets have been drastically cut due to financial strains over the last few years, resulting in a crippling loss of resources and personnel in dozens of cities across the U.S. With fewer law enforcement officers on the streets, many of these cities, including Chicago, Sacramento and New York City, have witnessed a subsequent rise in both violent and nonviolent crimes. Thankfully, there are many self-defense products on the market that allow you to effectively fend off attackers on your own.
- Pepper Sprays are a very popular choice for self-defense, and for good reason. When sprayed, your would-be attacker immediately experiences pain, temporary blindness, a runny nose and difficulty breathing. One of the benefits of arming yourself with pepper spray is its range – most canisters are effective up to 10 feet away, and some long-distance formulas even reach up to 20 feet. Pepper spray is also easy-to-carry, and can even be cleverly concealed for a surprise act of defense against an assailant.
- Stun Guns are also very effective and affordable self-defense tools. With most stun guns, all it takes is a few seconds of contact to cause total disorientation and complete lack of muscle control. Best of all, one peek at your stun gun’s vicious sparks may be enough to stop an attacker in his tracks. Many stun guns are also compact enough to be disguised as a regular cell phone or carried on a keychain, despite packing as much as five million volts of stopping power.
- Kubotans may look unassuming, but each can pack a powerful blow to an attacker when used properly. Often attached to a keychain, these batons come in varying lengths and forms, but each can cause great pain in an individual, especially when aimed at specific areas of the body, such as the forearms, spine, neck and eyes. Carry one with a secret pepper spray blast for double the self-defense.
- Strike Enhancers are small, but powerful weapons placed between your knuckles to maximize the impact of your punch. Whenever you feel vulnerable to crime, just slip your strike enhancer between your fingers to deliver a sharp blow to any unwelcome attacks. This initial strike will debilitate your attacker long enough to allow you a chance to run to safety. Strike enhancers come in many shapes, sizes, and colors and some have even been proven effective by law enforcement agencies.
- Panic Alarms are a great self-defense solution for those who want to feel protected, but wish to avoid confrontation with an attacker at all costs. These compact alarms deter aggressors from a distance by emitting a piercing, high-decibel noise when activated. As the alarm sounds, others in the area will know you are in distress and your attacker is likely to run off from fear of being caught. Many are also multi-functional, incorporating useful flashlights or weapons into the device.
Even as crime rates rise in cities across the country, you can ensure your own protection with these self-defense tools. Carrying any of these affordable, effective, and easy-to-use products will lend you much-needed peace of mind and may possibly even save your life. Don’t be a victim – find the one that’s right for you today.
In 2003, David Artman founded The Home Security Superstore, an online provider of affordable and effective home security systems and self-defense products. A graduate of Edinboro University of Pennsylvania, Artman first developed an interest in the e-commerce industry when he served as Director of Sales at MarketWorks, a start-up company and provider of web-based tools for online sellers. Before that, Artman gained valuable experience in sales and marketing for medical device companies such as H.W. Anderson Products and Bausch & Lomb. In 2000, Artman founded Velocity Products, Inc., an Atlanta-based corporation that now oversees the operations of both TheHomeSecuritySuperstore.com and ILoveNeon.com. Currently serving as CEO, Artman manages the strategic planning and operational departments within The Home Security Superstore. To see its selection of security and self-defense solutions, visit http://www.TheHomeSecuritySuperstore.com.
Copyright © 2013 TheHomeSecuritySuperstore.com
During a situation where an individual is actively shooting people at your place of business, your government (specifically the Department of Homeland Security) recommends you defend yourself.
With this. Me? I’d rather fight back with a gun.
Gun control and gun ownership is a very hot button topic at the moment. People on the pro-side of the argument often site personal protection as a primary reason they wish to keep their right to bear arms. On the other side of the coin there is a lot of concern over the commercial availability of certain types of weapons, ammo, and clips.
While personal protection for the individual and family is very important, one question that seems to be overlooked is how effective are guns as protection especially in your home?
Depending on which state you live in, a criminal might actually have more rights than you do when using deadly force to protect yourself. There have been numerous cases where an intruder has been shot by a home owner and the owner was then liable for the medical bills of the intruder.
Also there is always the concern of people gaining access to guns within the house, especially those who have not received proper training in gun use and gun safety. Statistics have shown that firearms were the third-leading cause of injury-related deaths within the U.S. in 2010 (per the National Center for Injury Prevention).
With those two thoughts in mind, gun owners should reconsider the idea of a gun as a primary home protection method and consider other options to act as deterrents first. That would allow for proper gun safety and storage in the home through the use of gun locks or more preferably a gun safe. With less concern over needing immediate access to a weapon for defense, more of a premium can be placed on gun safety and security.
So what are some easy options to protect your house?
- An Alarm System – These can be great deterrents because often times the signs alone will cause criminals to reconsider your home as a target.
- Securing Your Home Yourself – There are a lot of great ways you can upgrade your own home such as better locks or using landscaping and lighting to act as natural deterrents.
- Non-Lethal Options – Air horns, panic alarms, pepper spray, or even a taser can make excellent backups to the above options in case someone is determined to enter your home. As these are noted ‘non-lethal’ options your own personal rights to safety come into play over an intruder.
- Combat Training – This can be considered self defense, but the idea is to learn hand-to-hand combat which can be very effective inside and outside of your home. In confined areas or smaller spaces a well trained combatant has some advantages even over an opponent with a gun.
This is not to say that people should not own guns. We have the right to bear arms. However gun safety is very important to prevent accidents or other situations from occurring. One of the safest methods to employ is keeping guns and ammunition locked securely and then utilizing other methods as deterrents first, knowing that you can still access a more lethal weapon as a last resort.
Nick Walden is a freelance writer, blogger and a gun enthusiast. Along with freelance work Nick is currently a Correspondent for the Press Democrat newspaper.