To restore safety to America’s schools.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the `Safe Schools Act of 2013′.
SEC. 2. FINDINGS AND PURPOSE.
(a) Findings- Congress finds–
(1) that the Supreme Court has found language nearly identical to the `Gun Free School Zones Act’ to be unconstitutional;
(2) that the enactment of the `Gun Free School Zones Act’ has been met with an almost uninterrupted series of horrific and tragic shootings at Columbine, Newtown and in other American schools;
(3) that the `Gun Free School Zones Act’ has been a deadly failure. According to research by GeorgiaCarry.org, in the 22 years prior to enactment of the `Gun Free School Zones Act’ there were two school shootings in which four or more people were intentionally murdered in a short period of time, and in the 22 years after the enactment of the `Gun Free School Zones Act’ there have been 10 such school shootings;
(4) that American schools had not been plagued with this succession of horrific shootings prior to the enactment of the `Gun Free School Zones Act’;
(5) that horrific massacres on school campuses in Pearl, Mississippi, and southwestern Virginia, were averted by armed staff and students;
(6) that none of the murderers in any of these horrific school shootings were deterred by the fact that, in addition to murder, gun possession was also illegal in those locations; and
(7) that the reason that the `Gun Free School Zones Act’ has made American schools unsafe is that shooters now know that they can victimize American school campuses with no fear that victims will be armed.
(b) Purpose- It is the purpose of this Act to restore safety to America’s schools by allowing staff, teachers, and administrators to defend the children and themselves.
SEC. 3. SAFE SCHOOLS.
Subsection (q) of section 922 of Title 18, United States Code, is repealed.
Call your elected officials today and ask them not only to support, but to co-sponsor this bill.